The random thoughts and experiences of Bob and Debbies second son, Kelly's husband, Jonathan and Rebecca's dad and one of God's messed up creations.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

work

Most days, I really don't mind getting up in the morning and going to work. Some days, I really enjoy what I'm doing and the day goes by rather quickly. Rehabbing houses as I am doing now gives me a chance to learn new things that I may be able to apply to my own home. And, after all, it is my role in life to go out and support my family. Today, however, was one of those days that I would have preferred to have been able to take a vacation day.

Kelly and the kids are spending the night camping out on some plot of land in Indiana and I would like to have been able to go with them. Unfortunately we really can't afford for me to take the day off, especially given that I didn't work last Monday due to the holiday. I'm sure they will have a great time without me, but it would have been nice to get to see it.

While I'm at it, another work related item. After a day of work, I usually come home covered in either dry wall mud, concrete, paint, insulation or any one of a number of other substances I deal with on a regular basis. In other words, I often am a real mess when I walk in the door. Most of the time, I really don't think about it much. Last week, I attended the visitation for a long time family friend that recently passed away. Aside from the circumstances requiring it, it felt so good to leave the house in a suit and tie. Sometimes I think I would really like to find something (job wise) that required a little more than dirty jeans and a paint splattered t-shirt. As a matter of fact, I am usually such a mess that last night I showered, put on a good pair of jeans and a clean polo (?) shirt and came downstairs. Kelly asked me what I was dressed up for. Oh well, fortunately I have a nice collection of "pre-painted" t-shirts and pants.

No comments: