The random thoughts and experiences of Bob and Debbies second son, Kelly's husband, Jonathan and Rebecca's dad and one of God's messed up creations.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

It's funny how things work out

Talk about a day that didn't turn out as planned!

Jonathan and I were supposed to pick up some tickets at the will call window at Great American ball park and watch the Reds game today as Kelly and Rebecca went to a baby shower.

We all went to church this morning and I did "tech" for the first service. By the time the first service was over, Kelly and Rebecca had already left church to go to Dayton for the shower. Jonathan and I took our bags of peanuts and headed to Covington to park the van and go to the game. On the way, we stopped at a fast food place for some lunch to go and parked the van on the streets of Covington. We went down by the river to watch the boats as we ate our lunch. After a quick walk to the nearest store to pick up some Diet Cokes for the game, we headed across the Suspension bridge to the park. We went to the "will-call" windows and found that the tickets that we were supposed to use were not to be found. Not having enough cash on me to buy tickets, Jonathan and I wound up having to go back across the bridge and to the van to get home in time to watch the game at home. Jonathan seemed devastated and on the verge of breaking out in tears as we were headed back to the van, but he never shed a tear.

When we got back home, I went inside to watch the game on TV. Much to my surprise, Jonathan asked if he could see if any of his friends were home so he could play. As it turned out, he was invited to go swimming with one of his neighborhood friends in their pool.

Kelly and Rebecca got home from the shower before Jonathan got back from swimming. I wound up pushing Rebecca on the swing for a while then she got to play in the sprinkler in our back yard. This turned into a water fight between the two of us at first, then Jonathan came home and joined in.

The game went into extra innings. While it was still going, I roasted some ears of corn on the grill for the whole family and we had some nice family time out on the back deck. The evening wound up with the four of us (and Willie) going for a walk, a game of wiffle ball in the front yard, then all of us watching something together on TV while we nibbled on some pop corn.

Had Jonathan and I actually been able to attend the game, he'd have missed out on the chance to go swimming, there would have been no time with the swing and Rebecca and no water fight. I'm not sure that any of the other family things would have happened either.

There will always be opportunities to go to a ball game. As the day turned out, I have to say I'm glad this one didn't work out as planned. I am especially proud of Jonathan for the way he handled the disappointment and heart break he experienced. My great big hearted little man is growing up right before my eyes!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your insight on this. Thanks for being a great dad.

Helen Ann said...

You have an awesome family!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan said...

it was not funny