The random thoughts and experiences of Bob and Debbies second son, Kelly's husband, Jonathan and Rebecca's dad and one of God's messed up creations.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Personal Hell - Part One

A few years ago I was abruptly fired from a job that I really enjoyed. The company I worked for was scheduled to close the local facility in December of the year I was fired and all employees who stayed with the company through the last day of local operations were to receive a severance package. In my case, the severance would have amounted to between $25,000 and $30,000. Needless to say, I did not get to see any of that money.

The sudden loss of my job had an immediate financial impact on my family, as well as the long term impact from not getting the severance money. For the longest time after getting fired, I continually replayed the events that led up to my dismissal and I had a hard time getting over having lost my job. Every time I went for a job interview or even saw a job posting that interested me, I would worry about trying to explain why I was fired.

While I've been somewhat able to keep my family financially above water (barely), the worry about trying to explain my sudden departure to a prospective employee has never gone away.

For the most part, the daily regrets and thinking about what happened lessened over time. However, within the last few days it was announced that the company is vacating the facility it moved to a few years ago and returning to the local facility. And it all came rushing back. For the last couple of days I've been overwhelmed with reliving that period of my life and the feelings of failure that go with it.

The funny thing is that I'm glad to hear that they are returning where they belong (though the events that led to their re-relocation are depressing) and would go back to my old job in a heartbeat. Though my family thinks I'm nuts to even consider returning, as soon as I heard about the move I contacted one of the managers I had a good relationship with and asked about the possibility of returning. He happened to run into my former immediate supervisor (the one who actually fired me) who told him pretty much what I expected, that I am not considered re-hire able.

I guess it's true that you can never go back and, if I could, I may be better off not to. But I sure would like it if it were my decision.

(Part two will cover the events that led to my getting fired, my reaction at the time and all that I have been told, reminded of, or remembered on my own since.)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yes, it was hell for awhile. But it has also been a huge learning experience. A chance to truly trust God to provide for us.
The worst part of it though, seeing your self confidence go down the toilet. You became a different man for awhile. Glad to have the "old" Doug back. And while this was not the path I would have chosen for us, and I ABSOLUTELY believe the enemy had something to do with your firing, there was a reason for it and God has and will continue to turn it into good. I love you, DHL or no DHL.