The random thoughts and experiences of Bob and Debbies second son, Kelly's husband, Jonathan and Rebecca's dad and one of God's messed up creations.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The passge of time

Looking at Kelly's blog, I noticed that it had been 7 months since I last wrote anything on here. Then I got to thinking about the amount of time that has passed since other events in my life.
It's been:

-Nearly 50 years since I came into this world. (How I could be that freaking old, I don't know).
-About 44 years since my throat knew what tonsils looked like (and my earliest memory).
-About 42 years since I could see without binoculars hanging off my nose.
-Also about 42 years since the first time I "drove" a school bus (sitting on dads lap), the first 2 times I went to the emergency room (busted lip at school, gashed knee).
-About 41 years since we moved into my parents current house.
-37 years since I first strapped on shoulder pads.
-36 years since a surgeon removed a small piece of my knee (now there's a funny story) and probably 36 years since I actually stood with my weight evenly on both feet.
-34 years since I first actually drove a school bus (not sitting on a lap).
-34 years since I truly learned about anatomy (you'd think that after 34 years of repeatedly doing different versions of pretty much the same thing, it might get a little old. Not the case!!!).
-32 years since I graduated from high school.
-28 years since I graduated from College.
-28 years minus 1 week since I first said "I do".
-About 25 or 26 years since I won State and local school bus driving competitions (called road-e-o's).
-21 years minus 1 day since I spent my first night working at DHL.
-between 20 and 21 years since I essentially said "I don't" (not really sure of the official date).
-20 years since I finally finished my thesis and completed grad school (need help sleeping, try reading my thesis).
-About 18 years since the last time I went camping in the woods (Avg overnight temp: -10).
-16 years, 2 and 1/2 months since I met this beautiful woman named Kelly (another real good story).
-About 15 years since a STYX concert at which a certain young lady said, and I quote: "are you kidding?" when I proposed to her (this was the second try, the first attempt was postponed when River Bend flooded days before the scheduled concert, allowing me to go ahead and buy gutters for the house).
-14 years (minus about 3 months) since I knew for sure that I would not have to wake up by myself every morning for the rest of my life wondering if there actually was the right woman out there for me.
-12 years and 3 months since I knew for sure that I was finally going to get to try my hand at being a daddy.
-11 years and 2 months since I knew that I got to try being a daddy with a daughter.
-5 or 6 years since we "discovered" the Vineyard Church's.
-5 and 1/2 years since the last time I climbed into an aircraft without passengers.
-2 and 1/2 years since I found myself living on the North side of the Ohio river.
-Almost 2 years since I got my head cracked taking a Jesus bath (getting baptised again).
-I think a year (maybe 2) since the holes appeared in the ceiling of our family room (Someday, I will fix that).
-1 day since the dinner Kelly fixed was chosen only because I had a few days earlier mentioned to her that it was something I'd like to have in the future.
-2 hours since I kissed my wife (too long).
- About an hour since I started typing (also too long).

So what's this all mean?
1: Time passes quickly, enjoy all you can.
2: I'm getting old (or at least what I would have called old when I was a lot younger).
3: Take notes. It's impossible to remember everything, including the stuff that completely cracked you up, pissed you off, or caused tears at the time of it's occurrence.
4: Life happens while you are busy. (first one restated).

No comments: